Last Updated: Jun 18, 2012
Share your skills, make a difference, and show commitment to the earth by becoming an eco-volunteer. Whether you're a student looking for something fun, or considering a green vacation abroad, there's an eco-volunteer opportunity for you. Work in a field that interests you, and leave things a bit greener after you're gone. Opportunities range from single-day events to multi-week volunteer vacations, and virtual volunteering from home.
- Start or participate in a community vegetable garden.
- Teach “leave no trace” to school groups or park visitors.
- Initiate a clean up for your local beach, park, river, or roadside.
- Offer your services for a special eco-event or fundraiser.
- Initiate a recycling program for your school or community.
- Volunteer with the National Park Service, Nature Conservancy, Audubon Society, or other local environmental group.
- Help with trail maintenance in your nearest park.
- Become a virtual volunteer and help nonprofit green organizations online.
- Teach conservation and environmental awareness to communities in need.
- Monitor and protect endangered nesting sea turtles.
- Care for injured and orphaned animals at a wildlife refuge.
- Assist scientists in coral reef management and protection.
- Work on a sustainable farm and learn permaculture.
- Teach English to tour guides in the ecotourism industry.
- Assist in environmental research projects.
- Help with environmental health and gardening projects in rural communities.
- Work with organizations to protect endangered species and restore habitats.
- Do humanitarian work with orphanages or womens' cooperatives.