Last Updated: Nov 08, 2011
There are several options for sending letters and packages within Costa Rica. The national post office system, Correos de Costa Rica, offers standard postal services including certified and expedited mail. For those under time constraints or who need to send a heavy package, several couriers provide reliable and economical service within the country.
Post Office EMS
Costa Rica’s Post Office offers a type of courier service dubbed EMS. Using a combination of online tracking and express postal service, EMS is fast and secure for delivering documents and packages around the country. In urban areas, items are delivered within 24 hours; in rural towns, delivery may take up to two days. The maximum weight for packages is 66 pounds (30 kilograms).
- Letter/Light Documents: 900 CRC
- Package (2 pounds): 1,600 CRC
- Package (11 pounds): 4,500 CRC
Bus Service: Encomienda
Costa Rica’s public bus companies, which provide daily service between most major areas, offer the option to “mail” packages onboard their buses – with pickup and drop-off at any terminal along their routes. Clients receive a receipt number after paying for the service; the number is relayed to the package recipient, who can retrieve the package at the destination bus terminal. For large packages, this service is reliable, fast and very cost effective.
To contract encomienda service, call or visit the bus company that provides service to the package’s destination. In general, walk-ins are permitted, but it is best to verify company policies regarding packages – contents, weigh limits, costs, etc. – in advance.
- San Jose to Arenal (small package): 2,500 CRC
- San Jose to Manuel Antonio (mid-sized package): 1,500 CRC
- San Jose to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (large package): 2,100 CRC
Private Courier Companies
In addition to Costa Rica’s EMS service, the country is full of private courier companies. Similar to messenger services in big cities, an employee of the courier company will pick up packages or documents at any residence or business address, and deliver the item directly to its destination. In most cases, items are delivered immediately, and the courier is responsible only for one item at a time.
Services: Mass pickups & deliveries throughout the origin and destination areas. This is not an immediate delivery service.
- One-way express: Motorcycle delivery of one item.
- Two-way express: Motorcycle delivery and return of an item, often signed documents.
- Economic Package: Mass pickup and delivery of packages. Advanced notice of at least 24 hours is often required.
- Express Package: Immediate pickup and delivery of any package. A two-hour advanced notice is often required.
- Dedicated Messenger: Usually reserved for corporate use, this service puts a motorcycle messenger at the client’s disposal for an entire day.
- One-way express (San Jose-Drake Bay): 80,000 CRC
- Two-way express (within the Central Valley): 20,000 CRC
- Economic Package (San Jose-Liberia): 20,000 CRC
Costa Rica's Private Couriers
Bms Mensajeria Metropolitana Ltda; 2230-3514 or 8920-0695
Colex Colibri Express Worldwide; 2291-2474 or 2291-2473
Condor Express; 2258-5151
Corporacion Madrigal & Figueroa Mensajeria; 8353-8766
Enkargo Mensajeria y Paqueteria; 2271-0055
Jireh Mensajeria; 2224-8345
Maxxi Mensajeria; 2222-1191
Mensajeria Diesa; 2234-7114
Mensajeria Express Justo a Tiempo; 2262-3810 or 8830-6000
Mensajeria Mau; 2281-3071 or 8380-7982
Mensajeria Piscis; 2296-6246
Mensajeria Precisa; 2591-1111
Novus Mensajeria; 2665-4641 or 2665-4638
Ofimensajeros Express; 2271-4600 or 2271-3233
Presto Mensajeria; 2290-6868
Rapimensajeros Metropolitanos; 8815-6670
Seguri Xpress Mensajeria; 8379-8102
Servicio de Mensajeria Sur-Express; 2260-1797 or 8381-0186